Total area: 1 Ha
Year of plantation: 1972-1976
Plantation density: 4000 vines / Ha
Szent Tamás Vineyard
Total area: 1 Ha
Plantation density: 7200 vines / Ha
Year of plantation: 2008
Szent Tamás in all likelihood is of medieval origin. It was named after the patron saint of the parish of the village, St Thomas of the Apostles. It presumably used to be a vineyard estate of the parish, and after the uptake of the Protestantism it was partly owned by the baronial, and by the Protestant preachers.
It was first mentioned in 1556, when the Serédy family owned the vineyards of the Makovica manor. Around the year 1600 it is already known, that the lordship of Regéc with the Alaghy family owned remarkable areas in the vineyard. After extinction of the male line in 1635 up to 1711 the Rákóczi family took possession of the above mentioned estate. However there were other possessors in the 17th century on Szent Tamás: the Gönczy noble family, György Szelepcsényi cardinal and archibishop of Esztergom, as well as the Jesuit Monastery and College of Lőcse which owned grapes here until 1773, with minor interruptions.
Total area: 2.5 Ha Furmint, 0.5 Ha Pinot Noir
Plantation density: 6000 vines / Ha
Year of plantation: 2004-2015
The vineyard called Úrágya is located in the western border of the town of Mád and with no doubt it is considered as a terroir of early medieval origins. The sacred name of the vineyard refers to the pre-Christian, pagan beliefs of the Hungarians. In this case the name means that the people of Mád saw the sun going down behind the mountain which is on the west side of the town, like it was the Lord going to bed. This way the meaning of Úrágya is the place where the sun sets.
The earliest mention of it dates back to 1565, when it is recorded as the vineyard of the Reformed church of the town of Szepsi (now Slovakia).
The structure of Úrágya in the 17th century was consisted of vineyards of smaller extension, owned mostly by local families. After the extinction of the Alaghy family in 1635 the Rákóczis inherited the vineyards in Úrágya. This part remained in their hands until the end of the war of independence of 1703-1711.
In the 1720’s most part of the Úrágya vineyard was abandoned and were purchased by the Orczy family from the Treasury and the straitened local owners, at a very reasonable price. With the permisson of the Court in Vienna, in 1723 even the vineyards of the Treasury in Úrágya became possession of the families Klobusiczky and Orczy and remained in the hands of their heirs and descendants almost to the present day.
Thanks to historian Kornél Nagy for the historical overview.